Week End (1967)
Dir: Jean-Luc Godard
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062480/
Wow, this was one hell of an experience.
This was unlike just about any film I've ever seen, I'm going to have to sit down and watch some more of Jean-Luc Godard's work. I was underwhelmed with Breathless, as it seemed interesting in a historical context, but not beyond that.
I can't say I understood even half of this film, but it was a hell of a ride. It was painfully obvious that amid the all the political context, violence, lack of concern, and outright absurdity, that it was meant this way and Godard wants you to know you are watching a film. Random cuts of music, volumes fluctuating, unwarranted flashbacks and title cards with little relevance to the film were particularly jarring in contrast with things that were going on on the screen.
I got the distinct feeling that this was an angry film. It was angry at the bourgeoisie, it was angry at France, at America, at war, at its own characters. It wanted to make you angry. Long monolouges that go nowhere, an incredibly (though masterfully done) long and annoying tracking shot through a traffic jam, and real violence performed on real animals certainly give the viewer the feeling that Godard wanted. This is a manipulative film. It is at once gratifying, shocking, and frustrating.
It's an experience I am having trouble putting into words at the moment, but its an experience I reccomend. A bit of historical knowledge regarding Godard and the time it was made will help, but not much. This is not your typical movie, and is certainly not an exercise in narrative - this is almost soapbox filmmaking.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062480/
Wow, this was one hell of an experience.
This was unlike just about any film I've ever seen, I'm going to have to sit down and watch some more of Jean-Luc Godard's work. I was underwhelmed with Breathless, as it seemed interesting in a historical context, but not beyond that.
I can't say I understood even half of this film, but it was a hell of a ride. It was painfully obvious that amid the all the political context, violence, lack of concern, and outright absurdity, that it was meant this way and Godard wants you to know you are watching a film. Random cuts of music, volumes fluctuating, unwarranted flashbacks and title cards with little relevance to the film were particularly jarring in contrast with things that were going on on the screen.
I got the distinct feeling that this was an angry film. It was angry at the bourgeoisie, it was angry at France, at America, at war, at its own characters. It wanted to make you angry. Long monolouges that go nowhere, an incredibly (though masterfully done) long and annoying tracking shot through a traffic jam, and real violence performed on real animals certainly give the viewer the feeling that Godard wanted. This is a manipulative film. It is at once gratifying, shocking, and frustrating.
It's an experience I am having trouble putting into words at the moment, but its an experience I reccomend. A bit of historical knowledge regarding Godard and the time it was made will help, but not much. This is not your typical movie, and is certainly not an exercise in narrative - this is almost soapbox filmmaking.
