Notorious (1946)
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038787/
An absolute masterpiece.
This is close to unseating Rear Window as my favorite Hitchcock film. The wit is there, Hitch's directing is as terrific as ever, and then there are the actors.
Cary Grant + Ingrid Bergman = GOLD. The screen was dripping with charisma. They, of course, are two of the greatest American actors of all time, and here they really shine. They play perfectly off each other, and Grant, as good as he is, steps aside to allow Bergman to steal the show. I really liked the underlying theme of alcoholism, but even just taken at face value it was a ton of fun.
There were some really nice shots in this film (like most of Hitch's work), and the Criterion DVD really made them look incredible. The score, while not as memorable as Hitch's collaborations with Bernard Hermann, is still excellent.
One of Hitch's finest. I believe all copies of this movie on dvd are out of print, but it is well worth anyones while to track it down. I found my copy in a Newbury Comics.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038787/
An absolute masterpiece.
This is close to unseating Rear Window as my favorite Hitchcock film. The wit is there, Hitch's directing is as terrific as ever, and then there are the actors.
Cary Grant + Ingrid Bergman = GOLD. The screen was dripping with charisma. They, of course, are two of the greatest American actors of all time, and here they really shine. They play perfectly off each other, and Grant, as good as he is, steps aside to allow Bergman to steal the show. I really liked the underlying theme of alcoholism, but even just taken at face value it was a ton of fun.
There were some really nice shots in this film (like most of Hitch's work), and the Criterion DVD really made them look incredible. The score, while not as memorable as Hitch's collaborations with Bernard Hermann, is still excellent.
One of Hitch's finest. I believe all copies of this movie on dvd are out of print, but it is well worth anyones while to track it down. I found my copy in a Newbury Comics.
