Dead Man (1995)
Dir: Jim Jarmusch
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112817/
Amidst the violence of this film, it had an eerie, serene vibe to it. The black & white cinematography was beautiful, and one of the best aspects of this film. The Neil Young electric guitar score also added to the atmosphere, it was interesting to hear over a so-called "western". This was certainly unlike any western film I've ever seen - I suppose the whole Legend aspect in which Johnny Depp is a killer of "stupid White men" is retribution for the countless old westerns in which Native Americans were portrayed as mindless evil savages that must be fought by the White cowboys, beacons of all that is right and moral. The movie also had a few funny moments, especially the scene with Billy Bob Thornton and Iggy Pop.
Depp is fantastic, as usual - I don't think I've seen a performance of his that I've disliked. Even if the movie is worthless (I'm looking at you, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), he's always great. His transition from clueless poindexter accountant to legendary revenge machine is smooth, and Depp makes them both seem oddly similar.
Jarmusch is an interesting filmmaker, I've only seen Ghost Dog, which I enjoyed, and Coffee and Cigarettes, which I found mostly uninteresting and bland. I'll have to seek out more of his 'classics' like Down by Law.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112817/
Amidst the violence of this film, it had an eerie, serene vibe to it. The black & white cinematography was beautiful, and one of the best aspects of this film. The Neil Young electric guitar score also added to the atmosphere, it was interesting to hear over a so-called "western". This was certainly unlike any western film I've ever seen - I suppose the whole Legend aspect in which Johnny Depp is a killer of "stupid White men" is retribution for the countless old westerns in which Native Americans were portrayed as mindless evil savages that must be fought by the White cowboys, beacons of all that is right and moral. The movie also had a few funny moments, especially the scene with Billy Bob Thornton and Iggy Pop.
Depp is fantastic, as usual - I don't think I've seen a performance of his that I've disliked. Even if the movie is worthless (I'm looking at you, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), he's always great. His transition from clueless poindexter accountant to legendary revenge machine is smooth, and Depp makes them both seem oddly similar.
Jarmusch is an interesting filmmaker, I've only seen Ghost Dog, which I enjoyed, and Coffee and Cigarettes, which I found mostly uninteresting and bland. I'll have to seek out more of his 'classics' like Down by Law.
