will's movie log

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Lost Highway (1997)

Dir: David Lynch
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/

Oh hey, a David Lynch movie that makes little to no sense. And I love it because of it.

Though not quite as great as Mulholland Dr., it is very close. It's just an incredible experience. David Lynch can really create an immersive atmosphere, and his cinematography is always just incredible. I love his painterly approach to film. In my opinion, filmmakers with background in painting have some of the most beautiful looking films in the history of cinema. Kurosawa is a good example of this, especially during his color period, and David Lynch is another. He is an absolute master of shot composition and lighting. Even if you can't appreciate the films on an intellectual or audience-engaging level, which I can understand why many people wouldn't care for his films, you have to admit they are just a treat to look at.

While I eventually made coherent sense of Mulholland Dr., and enjoyed it all the more because of it, I don't know if I'll ever do the same for Lost Highway. I prefer to just enjoy the film on a purely visceral level, and leave the interperetation out of it for now. Maybe I will revisit it later on and try my hand at making sense of things, but for now I prefer to think of it as just a great horror film. I saw hints of Vertigo and even Alice in Wonderland here and there, and they really enhanced my enjoyment of the film.

A terrific film by one of my favorite filmmakers.