will's movie log

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Dir: George Clooney
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433383/

I got to see this movie in a huge theater that seats probably well over 100 people by myself, with no one else around. It was a nice experience.

This was an excellent film, with quite a bit of relevance today. I've got a soft spot for films that deal with network journalism (I love Michael Mann's The Insider, and Sidney Lumet's Network), and this one can sit up there with my favorites in that genre.

Good Night, and Good Luck. had excellent performances across the board, and the camera work really captures the intensity of delivering the pieces the crew on CBS did. David Strathairn in particular was terrific, and I loved Clooney's choice to not have anyone play Joe McCarthy, instead choosing to discredit him using archival footage of his own words, just as Edward R. Murrow did. I really enjoyed the speeches at the beginning and end of the film given by Murrow, as they were incredibly reflective of the sad state of journalism and journalists today. There is little actual journalism now, it's mainly escapism that is used to divert attention from terrible things that go on around the globe, and this film really drove that home. Murrow was an excellent journalist, and a true patriot and American hero.

I hear a lot of conservatives don't like this film. I suppose I understand why, but I thought it was pretty cut and dry. It's sad to see a lot of the conservatives on the IMDb boards try and defend Joe McCarthy as if he was some kind of savior or something. Oh well. The wheel keeps turning.