will's movie log

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

Dir: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110074/

1994 was an incredible year for movies.

This is another classic Coen Bros. film, as if there was any doubt. The only thing these guys have been involved with that I haven't liked thus far is Crimewave.

I love the Coen's sense of quirkiness, it's something you don't see too often in American cinema. They have created some of the more original american films in the last 20 years, and this is no different. It's a brilliant satire of corporate life, the harsh cutthroat reality of the business world and those at the top. It's also got a cool feel for the period it's set in, the late 50's, and builds a rich and engaging (albeit false) story surrounding the Hula Hoop and it's creator.

One of the reasons this movie is so great is the performances. I enjoy Tim Robbins, he's great in quirky roles like this, especially when he gets a chance to do what I call his 'crazy eyes' face. His eyes get really intense and seem to bug out - it's wild. I also love Jennifer Jason Leigh, she is channelling Hepburn here and she pretty much steals every scene she's in. While most people probably only know her as that girl from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, people owe it to themselves to check out some of her other work, especially Palindromes, and to lesser extents, eXistenZ and Short Cuts. An added bonus is Bruce Campbell playing a smarmy asshole journalist, and doing it as only he can.

There were also quite a few really cool shots in the movie, specifically just about every scene in the boardroom, and the opening shot flying through the city, which looks just a tad too modern for the 1950's, but somehow fits the setting perfectly.