Breaking the Waves (1996)
Dir: Lars von Trier
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115751/
Watching a von Trier film is typically an emotionally exhausting experience, and Breaking the Waves is no different.
For the longest time during this movie it is very hard to figure out what to make of the characters, and that makes this film slightly frustrating, but it pays off in the end, and everything comes together. I'm not sure whether I should think of Bess as just one woman or as a symbol for all women, but she's the typically 'good' woman protagonist who is surrounded by a world of bad.
I think the handheld camera works very well for this film, as do the chapter breaks with ironically upbeat music and beautiful imagery in contrast to the bleakness that surrounds it on either end. The thing is, as bleak as the film can seem at times, I found it very uplifting at the end, which is more than I can say for Dogville and Manderlay (both of which I loved, however).
This was a pretty fearless and powerful debut for Emily Watson, she plays Bess very convincingly and brings an incredible amount of depth to the character.
Another solid film from Lars von Trier, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite working directors.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115751/
Watching a von Trier film is typically an emotionally exhausting experience, and Breaking the Waves is no different.
For the longest time during this movie it is very hard to figure out what to make of the characters, and that makes this film slightly frustrating, but it pays off in the end, and everything comes together. I'm not sure whether I should think of Bess as just one woman or as a symbol for all women, but she's the typically 'good' woman protagonist who is surrounded by a world of bad.
I think the handheld camera works very well for this film, as do the chapter breaks with ironically upbeat music and beautiful imagery in contrast to the bleakness that surrounds it on either end. The thing is, as bleak as the film can seem at times, I found it very uplifting at the end, which is more than I can say for Dogville and Manderlay (both of which I loved, however).
This was a pretty fearless and powerful debut for Emily Watson, she plays Bess very convincingly and brings an incredible amount of depth to the character.
Another solid film from Lars von Trier, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite working directors.
