Alphaville (1965)
Dir: Jean-Luc Godard
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058898/
Every Godard I watch is better than the last. This one is some bizarre blend of film-noir and 1984-esque Sci-Fi, and it was really great. The pacing was a little slow at first, but it picked up quite a bit. I'm still trying to grasp all the symbolic and thematic elements, but I know for sure there was a huge anti-facist sentiment as well as musings on what it means to be human.
The movie was really fucking funny at certain points. The overuse of the dramatic music, the executions, were all hilarious. It seemed like Godard was parodying the genres as much as he was paying homage to them.
The only thing I really didn't like was Alpha 60's voice. It was kind of grating.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058898/
Every Godard I watch is better than the last. This one is some bizarre blend of film-noir and 1984-esque Sci-Fi, and it was really great. The pacing was a little slow at first, but it picked up quite a bit. I'm still trying to grasp all the symbolic and thematic elements, but I know for sure there was a huge anti-facist sentiment as well as musings on what it means to be human.
The movie was really fucking funny at certain points. The overuse of the dramatic music, the executions, were all hilarious. It seemed like Godard was parodying the genres as much as he was paying homage to them.
The only thing I really didn't like was Alpha 60's voice. It was kind of grating.
