Funny Games (1997)
Dir: Michael Haneke
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/
I knew when the opera music jarringly switched to some really grating grindcore metal in the opening credits, I was in for a ride.
This was an evil, evil film. It was also incredibly well done. By not showing any violence, it makes it even tougher to watch as you just view the reactions of those that ARE witnessing it.
This movie is kind of an endurance test. It's incredibly chilling. At one point, the villain breaks the fourth wall and asks the viewer if we are on the family's side. We think we are, but we aren't. If we were, we would probably stop watching the film. I wasn't sure about the fourth wall breaks at first, but by the end, it made more sense. The 10 minute long-take was brilliant and devastating.
I haven't been this unsettled by a film in a long time... probably not since I watched Irreversible, another film with a similar theme. An incredible feat of filmmaking.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/
I knew when the opera music jarringly switched to some really grating grindcore metal in the opening credits, I was in for a ride.
This was an evil, evil film. It was also incredibly well done. By not showing any violence, it makes it even tougher to watch as you just view the reactions of those that ARE witnessing it.
This movie is kind of an endurance test. It's incredibly chilling. At one point, the villain breaks the fourth wall and asks the viewer if we are on the family's side. We think we are, but we aren't. If we were, we would probably stop watching the film. I wasn't sure about the fourth wall breaks at first, but by the end, it made more sense. The 10 minute long-take was brilliant and devastating.
I haven't been this unsettled by a film in a long time... probably not since I watched Irreversible, another film with a similar theme. An incredible feat of filmmaking.
