will's movie log

Friday, December 02, 2005

Female Convict Scorpion - Beast Stable (1973)

Dir: Shunya Ito
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226875/

The third in the series. This one was pretty damn good for an exploitation film (The second one is still the best, though). I enjoy exploitation films though, and they don't come much better than this series so far.

This series of films has always rode on the thin line between exploitation and art, and this one moves into a sort of character-based drama mode. It's shot incredibly well, much better than most films of it's genre. The scenes are framed very well, and the director uses some interesting angles. He's toned down the colored lighting from previous iterations in the series.

One problem I have with the films is that I still can't figure out whether the themes and situations in the film are supposed to be female-empowering, or just misogynistic. It's very hard to tell.