Pygmalion (1938)
Dir: Anthony Asquith, Leslie Howard
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030637/
A fine adaptation of the great play. The cinematography was pretty well done, and I liked the way they used visual metaphors such as filming into a mirror to underscore the theme of the superficiality of social status in the film. Unfortunately, I saw this in my English class, and the format was VHS, instead of the Criterion DVD.
Seeing this play performed made it a lot better for me, and Leslie Howard gave a terrific performance as Henry Higgins. He had great facial expression. I'm not so sure I liked the new ending the gave it, however.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030637/
A fine adaptation of the great play. The cinematography was pretty well done, and I liked the way they used visual metaphors such as filming into a mirror to underscore the theme of the superficiality of social status in the film. Unfortunately, I saw this in my English class, and the format was VHS, instead of the Criterion DVD.
Seeing this play performed made it a lot better for me, and Leslie Howard gave a terrific performance as Henry Higgins. He had great facial expression. I'm not so sure I liked the new ending the gave it, however.
