will's movie log

Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Dir: Charles Laughton
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048424/

Gosh, this was a wonderful film. Way ahead of its time.

While it certainly reflected the sentiments of its era, its incredibly relevant in this day and age, where we have people who claim to be Christians yet preach hatred and intolerance, and conceal evil, evil deeds, sometimes in the name of God. The moral of this film, while multi-faceted, basically boiled down to the message of love, and its triumph.

This was also one of the most beautifully shot films I've ever seen. When the children are going down the river, the sets look so pretty they border on surreal. I love the way water can come out looking on black and white film, and this is a treat in that regard (Polanski's Knife in the Water is another good example of this). The shots of the animals were also pretty cool.

If I had to nitpick, sometimes some of the acting from the children could be kinda bad, but its forgivable, especially since Robert Mitchum gives an incredible performance.