will's movie log

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Brown Bunny (2003)

Dir: Vincent Gallo
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330099/

This film won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it to be an effective if flawed portrayal of loneliness, guilt, and loss. I have to admire Vincent Gallo for at least having a vision and sticking to it. I loved Buffalo 66.

I can see why the controversy erupted at Cannes, as even at its newly revised running time of just under 90 minutes, the film moves at a snails pace. I think the editing has saved it, because if it was still at its original running time of 118 minutes, it would be tedious and infuriating. That said, it still did move very slowly, but the slow pace felt like it had purpose, it was reflective. I think the film still could have stood to lose a few minutes. A lot of people probably will get frustrated with this film because it feels like it is going nowhere until the payoff at the very end (and no, I'm not talking about the explicit oral sex scene).

Speaking of the oral sex scene, it was very courageous to put in the film, but I have a feeling it was put in more for attention than for artistic merit. It was one of the only real sex scenes you'll see in an actual film, but it was probably one of the least arousing you'll find.

Not bad at all. I was expecting much much worse.