Wolf Creek (2005)
Dir: Greg McLean
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416315/
This movie does NOT live up to the hype it was getting.
It's nothing groundbreaking, spectacular or even particularly violent in comparison with some of the genre cinema I've seen.
It starts off promising, by devoting a decent chunk of the movie to developing character before anything bad happens. See Hitchcock's The Birds for an example of how to pull this technique off correctly. See Wolf Creek for an example of how to do this poorly. It squanders that time away and you feel no closer to the characters by the time the 'horror' kicks in than you did at the start of the film, and since there is little substance in the third act, it leaves the film feeling utterly pointless by the end. Roger Ebert called this film morally reprehensible, and I think I agree with that sentiment. It's not introspective, gives us no insight to ourselves or the characters, and is just depicted violence for no real reason at all. Fuck this movie.
The cinematography was beautiful, however. The DP needs to find a new director to work with.
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416315/
This movie does NOT live up to the hype it was getting.
It's nothing groundbreaking, spectacular or even particularly violent in comparison with some of the genre cinema I've seen.
It starts off promising, by devoting a decent chunk of the movie to developing character before anything bad happens. See Hitchcock's The Birds for an example of how to pull this technique off correctly. See Wolf Creek for an example of how to do this poorly. It squanders that time away and you feel no closer to the characters by the time the 'horror' kicks in than you did at the start of the film, and since there is little substance in the third act, it leaves the film feeling utterly pointless by the end. Roger Ebert called this film morally reprehensible, and I think I agree with that sentiment. It's not introspective, gives us no insight to ourselves or the characters, and is just depicted violence for no real reason at all. Fuck this movie.
The cinematography was beautiful, however. The DP needs to find a new director to work with.
