will's movie log

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2004)

Dir: Tetsuya Nomura
IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385700/

This movie, wow. It didn't make a lick of sense to me, as I've never played the original game that this film is a sequel too. I figured as much, but if a movie can't stand on its own as a narrative, if it relies to heavily on other material as a crutch, it isn't worth much.

The animation is good, crisp and detailed, I'll give it that much, but the story made absolutely no sense and seemed only to exist to set up a premise for more fight scenes. They were fairly cool fight scenes, I'll concede, but they too made no sense, and followed no form of logic whatsoever.

Meh. I guess fans of the game will like it, but it was pretty damn silly to me. The soundtrack was very innapropriate at times, it also followed no form of logic, it was just thrown around anywhere. It also sounded very video-gamey, and made parts of the film just laughable.