will's movie log

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Vernon, Florida (1981)

Dir: Errol Morris
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083281/

The third Errol Morris documentary I've seen, and it may be my favorite.

This movie is fucking hilarious, because of the unusual mannerisms of the people the film explores, but there is also a distinct feeling of endearment that this film has for its subjects. They are charming, in bizarre ways. From the guy who just can't stop talking about turkey hunting to the guy who inexplicably keeps a turtle and a possum in a cage on his property, to the cop who seems bored to tears, it's just fascinating to see a the heart of a small obscure town. It's something we're not likely to experience otherwise.

I love the way Morris conducts his documentaries. He lets his camera and editing do the talking, and how you interperet those is how the film comes across to you. It seems a lot more natural, and I guess film-like than most documentaries that come across as heavy-handed, pushy materials. This one let's its subjects speak for themselves.